Sunday, January 24, 2010

A Tribute to my Grandpa


So I normally don't really include anything personal or say much in this blog. But I have decided to go ahead and create this post. You probably all recognize this picture that I posted recently, because I just took it shortly after Thanksgiving. Which now I realize was inspiration to take the photos I took of my grandparents. About two weeks ago my grandpa fell at his home and broke the ball off of his hip. They rushed him to the hospital in payson (2 hours from his home in Bicknell) and after several days, had surgery to replace his hip. My grandpa is 92 and was not able to recover from the surgery and had some other health problems discovered. So for 14 days he was in the hospital not being able to move until yesterday (Saturday) morning he slipped away. My family has all spent the last two weeks constantly visiting my Grandpa and were grateful for those last moments we had with him. He truly was an amazing man. He worked hard his whole life, and when he truly commited his life to Christ and the gospel he marched forward and did all he could. My grandpa and grandma were sealed a week before my parents were, and after that served faithfully in the temple the rest of their lives. My grandpa was actually later called to be a sealer and performed many of the sealings in our family. My grandma once said "it took me 20 years to get him to the temple, and when he finally went he never wanted to stop going." Recently when I called I talked to my grandpa for a min. and when I said bye I love you. He replied back. "I love you too lissie, we all do." It was so sweet of him and will probably always stick with me. He was never a man of a lot of words, but truly taught by example. Always reading gospel books, and serving faithfully in his callings, and taking care of his duties. Even this past summer at age 91 he was still working in his garden out back of their house. Well I could go on, but I just want to say that I'm grateful for having him in my life and am so grateful that we will be together again. Losing someone really puts the plan of salvation into perspective. It is no doubt that our Heavenly Father loves us and wants us to be happy, that He has come up with such an incredible plan for us. How true it is that this life is so short. Every day means so much. There is so much to learn and do. Thank you Grandpa for teaching me by your example and the life you lived.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh Lyss... I am so sorry for your loss. Your grandpa sounds like a wondeful man. I am so happy that you will get to be with him again...

Jessie Moore said...

Hey Lyss, I am so sorry about your Grandpa. It is a really hard time and just know that I am praying for you and your family. It's true...everyone does love you.

Mat and Brooke said...

That was a really neat post, Alyssia. I'm sorry for your loss. It's never easy to lose someone you love. That is a beautiful picture you took of your grandpa and you'll be grateful for the rest of your life that you did.

Jenilara said...

Lyss, your grandpa truly was an amazing guy. Do you remember when we stayed with them in Bicknell? What a neat post, and thank you for sharing. You'll be in my prayers.

Anonymous said...

hello... hapi blogging... have a nice day! just visiting here....